« Acts 1:12-26: After the Ascension | Main | Why Does It Take the non-mainstream Media? »

June 13, 2005
Invitation Withdrawn

Those who are obsessive about checking my blog will recognize that I had a post on a petition to the General Superintendents of the Church of the Nazarene to not invite the President of the United States to address the General Assembly, especially during its communion service. I deleted this post earlier today.

I can now report that last evening, before the petition was circulated, the Board of General Superintendents declined to offer an invitation to the President of the United States to address the General Assembly. For this I give thanks to God for the faithfulness of the Board of General Superintendents, and especially, the catholic/international witness of the Church of the Nazarene.

I do not know all the process, but I do know that the Bush administration initiated the attempt to address the assembly. It is my understanding that the President's political adviser wanted to coat tail of the Church of the Nazarene's compassionate ministries, and approached the General Superintendents two weeks ago. Approval was given to allow the President to "greet" the Assembly.

I spoke with Dr. Paul Cunningham after the District Assembly on Friday. He was extremely gracious, warm, and listened well. I was the first one to speak to him of the rumor, which he confirmed in broad details. He made clear, however, that nothing was finalized at the time, but that he thought that a Presidential visit might give needed publicity to the Church of the Nazarene. Again, he graciously listened to my concerns about being drawn into partisan politics, the controversial nature of the publicity received, Bush's role in the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the implications for the international Church of the Nazarene.

Dr. Cunningham did convince me that it was legitimate for the President to offer "greetings" as the head of state of the country in which the Assembly was to be held. Yet as things unfolded yesterday, it seemed to me (on unconfirmed sources) that the Bush administration wanted much more than to give greetings -- they wanted a significant time slot during the morning Eucharistic service, the main gathering of the Church. Dr. Cunningham was unaware of the nature of the request when he spoke to me, as he had been out of Kansas City for ten days.

If I may interpret on what little I know, it seems that the Communion service on that Sunday morning, required by the Manual to take place before the business sessions of the Assembly meets, was recognized by the General Superintendents as too significant to risk cooptation. The Body and Blood of Christ, forming the Body of Christ, prevented other bodies, even the body of the most powerful nation-state of the world, from taking over the agenda of God's people. This is a marveleous and wonderful witness to the love of God in the provision of God's people in the Eucharistic Feast.

William Cavanaugh in Torture and Eucharist talks about the Eucharist as politics. It is tremendously ironic -- but insightful -- that what the Eucharistic practice of the Roman Catholic Church in Chile, esconced in a Constantinian relationship, a "new Christendom" with the Pinochet Regime, could not immediately achieve, the Eucharistic practice of the Church of the Nazarene, locally often so woefully problematic, was able to sustain. Of course, this might be credited as well to the analysis and writings of Cavanaugh.

Yet this night, I am amazed, astounded, thankful for the leadership of the Church of the Nazarene, the wisdom embedded in its Manual, the faithful witness of friends and brothers and sisters that I don't even know, that the Spirit of God that still can perform the most marvelous surprises! Wow . . . who would have thunk that the little ol' Church of the Nazarene would have the spiritual vitality to recognize the world as the world!

Posted by johnwright at June 13, 2005 10:00 AM

Comments

Thanks be to God! John, I want to thank you for your witness and leadership in your daily speaking of truth to power. Your insightful words about these events are much appreciated. I first learned of these rumors Saturday at a wedding celebration. Ironically it was conveyed to me by students from SNU, a sister school in the "reddest", most pro-Bush of states. I am touched by the witness of the Church above the feeble nation-states. I am reminded Jesus' first miracle occurred at a wedding, and the Holy Spirit continues to perform the miracle of sustaining the life of the Church in Christ. Thanks be to God ineed!

Posted by: Matt at June 13, 2005 10:22 PM

This is amazing news. I would not have thought it possible. I appreciate your hard work and devotion. I am encouraged more and more by the rising numbers of Nazarenes who are willing to embrace liturgy, Trinitarian theology, and Christian pacifism. Thanks, John for all of your hard work and willingness to stick your neck out.

Grace and Peace,

Scott Langford
Pastor, Waycross First Church of the Nazarene
Waycross, GA

Posted by: Scott Langford at June 14, 2005 7:30 PM

pastor john wright ... as in eunice & john [from plymouth, MI area long ago], or do I have the wrong john wright?

just curious! if this is john [& eunice] wright, tell eunice "HI! haven't seen y'all since WHEN!!"

gina

Posted by: gina at June 21, 2005 7:31 PM

Wow this is ridiculous! This is the President of the United States! A beakon to the world and a Christian witness to not only America but all the world! I just joined the church of the nazerene and i am ashamed to be apart of it!

Posted by: Nick at June 29, 2005 8:51 PM

I apologize if i was harsh, I got caught up in the Bush thing. I am not ashamed to be apart of the church of the nazerene I am just ashamed of what they have done. With all due respect

Posted by: nick at June 30, 2005 8:28 AM

Greeting in the name of our saviour Lord Jesus Christ.
Dear, we want to arrange your 3 days healing crusade, 2 days pastors’ leadership conference and 1 day Women Conference in Punjab Pakistan , so we want and our desire to invite you in healing crusade as a speaker, preacher and God wants to use you in Punjab Pakistan for gospel. Please accept our invitation and came and preach in healing Crusade , Pastors leadership conference & Women Conference in Punjab Pakistan . We will be very thankful if you give us time for the gospel of God in Punjab Pakistan .
Please reply us soon.
God Bless you & your ministry Work.
Ishu1946@yahoo.com

Posted by: MICHAEL at January 27, 2008 8:37 PM

Greeting in the name of our saviour Lord Jesus Christ.
Please reply us soon.
God Bless you & your ministry Work.

Posted by: michael aslam at February 24, 2008 9:53 AM

Dear,
Respectfully Sir,
I truly and friendly say you that my joy new no bounds when I open your website. I made many dreams and hopes to watch and explore your website. I hope you already know the circumstances of Pakistan. You will see in newspaper, T.V, on websites etc that Pakistan is unsecure and expensive countries while other countries. In Pakistan mostly Christians are unsecure. Muslims are killing, attacking on Christians. I want to say that if other countries are not in world than there will no Christian in Pakistan. Christian are living easily because of president Bush always ask Pakistan president General Pervaiz Mushraf to give freedom to Christians and mostly Pakistan is still as a country because of America. Pakistan gets always money and Pakistan is still in debt of America.
I sadly say that Pakistan is unsecure and expensive country. About unsecureness mostly Pastors and churches are unsecure. Muslims are attacking on churches. Everyday or about after 3 or 4 days. There is bomb blast at church. I am very sad to say that my cousin is attack by these Muslims.
I really and truly say and ask you that my joy new no bounds when I open your website. I hope that may be there will be pastor job or pastor conference or a event. I introduce you my self , My name is Rev. Saleem Sultan. I am a good Pastor in Pakistan at city Sahiwal. I am a church pastor and I can preach in church , conferences and in events. I can handle the church activities for example.
In the month of December, firstly I make the schedule of programs which can held in church. I don’t write the all programs but I explain some items, for big people there is a family carol in church and there is a gift exchange program. People enjoy it very. For childrens there is a Christmas drama , in which children perform the role of different characters which is describe in BIBLE. I make people friendly , so they can enjoy and show intrest in the church activities. I am married man and I have 3 childrens and I am a good pastor as well as good care taker of house and of church. I listen about your website and I hope that there will be a conference or an event or a pastor job. Because I don’t want to live in Pakistan. You already know the circumstances of Pakstan. Pakistan is unsecure as well as Pakistan is many expensive. Today you will see Pakistan is making higher rates and prices of things. Today rich man is saying : Everything is expensive so imagine what is saying of middle or poor person. He cannot eat one time lunch. Why? Today rice or wheat is 100 rupees kilo but on next day it will be 130 rupees kilo. So person make people for lunch or for children education or for electricity bill or for telephone ,gas,house, rent . To much expensive . You will see the newspaper there is a headlines that Pakistan is becoming expensive day by day.
So, I really and truly say that I hope from you that please invite for conference or for event or for pastor job. There is no secure place in Pakistan for me and for my family. I made many hopes from you and your team. I am not a bad preacher. I am good and good handler of church activities. So please do something for me. There no secure place for Christian. To contact me.
My Email address,
inkremovermain@hotmail.com
My Phone number,
092- 040-4220340
My Address,
St. Patrick Church Near Zafar Ali Stadium Sahiwal Pakistan.
Please do something , for testing me you can invite me on conference to send me form you will send it on my email address. Please find job or invite me on event or on conference. Please do something for me , I will thank full to you. Please. Thank you.
Yours obediently
Rev. Saleem Sultan

Posted by: Saleem sultan at May 31, 2008 9:00 PM

Dear Sir,My name is Shahbaz Ilyas. I live in Pakistan and I want to attend your programme. Can I do it. Kindly send me the information.I am looking forward to you.Thanks

Posted by: shahbaz Ilyas at September 11, 2008 12:49 AM

Rev. Azar Naz said…
Greeting in the name of Jesus Christ. Praise the Lord. We all okay by the grace of God we hope you also will be okay by the Grace of God. Dear we want to invite you & your Team in Christ in Faisalabad (Punjab)Pakistan for the Jesus Glory.
We have been arranging Crusades and healing Meetings for 8year. Great pastors and Doctor Pastors have participated as main speakers from different cities of Pakistan every year. In these crusades many peoples received Jesus and received their healing .Praise the Lord. But now a day We want to arrange a big gathering 30000 peoples for 5 days Healing Crusade & 3 days Pastors Leadership Conference So in this way we give you invitation for the Crusade & Pastors leadership Conference in Faisalabad Pakistan. Please give us time for the Jesus glory in Faisalabad Pakistan in 2009 We hope and Trust in God that you must give us Time in 2009. We are continuing praying & Fasting for your coming in here in Pakistan. We also want to affiliation & work with you in future in Pakistan. We want your positive & quick reply as soon as possible for the Jesus Christ. God is good all the Time. God bless you and your Family + Church. Your Brother Rev. Pastor Azar Naz 24-Hour Healing Prayer Center Madina Town Faisalabad Punjab Pakistan.
I have an education ministries for poors needy, disables and orphens .we are supporting the pakistani nation with cloth, food , shelter and boarding free books and free computer eduction .we are runing education center where there are ten computers for the children these computers are enough for them. we are attaching same pictures. if you
relieze that we are part of you and Jesus Body .so please contact us for develpement to pakistani nation.

If you have any questions, please send me an email .. We are always glad to make new friends in Christ and to welcome people into our community of faith. Come be part of what’s going on here Light of world ministries 2000 pakistan —where a welcoming and caring pakistan is alive in Christ. I hope you send me email soon!
May God’s loving and healing presence be with you!

Telephone_0092_41_5520040
Cell_+92_302_7022868 Email:lightofworld_ministries2000@yahoo.com
Organizer
Rev.Pastor Azar Naz

Posted by: Rev.Pastor Azar naz at May 28, 2009 10:45 AM

I am true Pastor all pastors in Pakistan are not true and following Satan please give me money to teach all these pastors as mu father is also pastor and following Satan I hope you send me email soon! May God’s loving and healing presence be with you! Telephone_0092_41_5520040 Cell_+92_302_7022868 Email:azar_ua119@hotmail.com Organizer Rev.Pastor Azar Naz

Posted by: Rev.Pastor Azar Naz at July 7, 2009 11:20 AM

( FROM jaen_tanko2009@yahoo.com COTE D' IVORY WEST
Dear
I am Mrs Jaen Tanko From Cairo Capital City in Egypt I am married to Mr Peter Tanko .He worked with Egypt embassy here in Cote d' ivory for ten years before he died in the year 2002. We were married for eleven years without a child.
He died after a brief illness that lasted for only six days. Before his death we were both born again Christian. Since his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against it
When my late Husband was alive he deposited the sum of $7Million ( Seven Million U.S. Dollars)in one of the security company of cote d' ivory .recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next Eight months due to cancer problem. The one that disturbs me most is my stroke sickness. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to you with hope that you will utilise this money the way I am going to instruct here in. I want you to use this fund for orphanages, widows, propagating the word of God and to endeavour that the house of God is maintained.
The Bible made us to understand that blessed is the hand that give the I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my plenty of relatives are not Christians and I don't
want our efforts to be used by unbelievers.don't I want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way.
This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace I Donny need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health hence the presence of my husband relatives around me always.
I don't want them to know about this development. With God all things are possible. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the security company in Abidjan here in Cote D' Ivory,and you've to contact them for onward transferring of the fund to your destination. I will also issue you an authority letter that will prove you the present beneficiary of this fund. I want you to always pray for me because the lord is my Shepherd. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth
Please always be prayerful all through your life and any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another person for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated herein.
please respond on my email alternative addres
jaen_tanko2009@yahoo.com
Remain bless and God bless you abundantly
Mrs Jaen Tanko
Plaese try to use it as a child of God Plaese

Posted by: Tanko Jaen at July 8, 2009 6:06 PM

Hello , In the name of Jesus. Greeting.
sir, i am pastor yousaf raza, i work in multan pakistan.i read ur websid.i open .i see ur name. plz ur come my country, i arrange a big healng meeting .r u lick come . i call u. plz ur send the phon nomber.i requset u plz prayer my this meeting, u know in this days my country is very big problem.i live in muslam ariea. but jesus help me and i work in this ariea,
united gospel healing prayer ministry
Gulzar town ahmad abad road multan pakistan 60000, thanks ur bro.Rev Yousaf